Wednesday News Stuff
Howdy folks—here’s what’s up:
- Nikon has just recently launched a complete redesign of their Nikon USA web site, (shown above) and I have to say; it’s pretty stunning. They’ve done a very clever job of making “the image” the focus of the home page, and the site is packed with both beautiful photography, and loads of info on everything Nikon. Overall, I think the site redesign is a big improvement, and it’s much easier to get to the info you want quickly, and it just looks so much better (I can’t think of a better way to say it than that). Here’s the link (and make sure you click on the little floating EXIF and Info window on the top right. Very cleverly done).
- Photoshop author and trainer Sean Duggan (co author of the book “The Creative Digital Darkroom” with Katrin Eismann) is teaching a number of short classes this April in Hawaii (poor guy) at the University of Hawaii. His classes are: (1) Selections & Masking in Photoshop CS, (2) Creative Collage with Photoshop CS3, and (3) Camera Raw Workflow. Click here for more info on those classes. After that, Sean is teaching a weekend class called “Photoshop for Photographers: The Basics” at Stephen Johnson’s Photography Studio in Pacifica, California, on May 3-4, 2008. Here’s the link to info on that weekend workshop.
- This might be interesting; there’s a new utility called “Preview Extractor” that lets you extract the full-sized JPEG preview image from Raw photos taken with Nikon digital cameras. I haven’t tried it, and I haven’t heard much more than it’s available. Here’s the link, but if you’ve tried it, or know someone that has, let me know.
- Photoshop Hall of Famer Eddie Tapp is our guest on this week’s episode of Photoshop User TV, and Eddie shows how to get a “Softar filter effect” for giving that soft glamorous look to your images in Photoshop. Here’s the link to the show (you can watch it right online). Also, don’t forget to set your Tivo to record Photoshop User TV on Fox Business Network–the show airs tonight at 1:30 am. Check our local cable listings (or DirectTV) for the channel in your area.
- Lastly, in the latest issue of Shutterbug magazine, they had a link to the motorsports photography of Regis Lefebure. His stuff is just incredible, and if you want to start off your Wednesday right, take two minutes to enjoy some really amazing images. Here’s the link.
That’s it for today, gang. Remember, a strobe unfired, is a strobe without light. I have no idea what that means.