Here’s a link to a video Matt and I did a month or so ago, which talks about the differences between Lightroom, and using the Bridge and Camera Raw. It’s at NAPP’s public Lightroom Learning Center, and when you follow this link right here, make sure you click on “Lightroom vs. Photoshop Discussion” in the video list on the right side of the window.
This rare Friday-night post is to let you all know that Adobe has just posted Lighroom 2.1 “Release Candidate” on Adobe Labs today; a free update to Lightroom that addresses a number of bugs and performance issues some users were experiencing. The “Release Candidate” moniker is explained by Adobe:
“The â˜release candidate' label indicates that this update is well tested but would benefit from additional community testing before it is distributed automatically to all of our customers. The Lightroom team would like the community to help verify the quality of this update through normal usage as this will ensure that the application is tested on a diversity of hardware and software configurations not available internally at Adobe.
I think it’s very cool that Adobe thought to release it this way first, and get the benefit of additional outside testing before releasing the final version. You can download the 2.1 update right here.
[kml_flashembed movie="http://www.youtube.com/v/3Qjc6zfekIo" width="425" height="350" wmode="transparent" /]
Here’s a quick video clip I did for you guys with some background info on my new “Lightroom 2 Book for Digital Photographers.” On the video (it’s around around 2-1/2 minutes long), I talk about how I developed the book; the differences between this new version of the book, and the original version I wrote for Lightroom 1.0, and some of the new things I added to make the book more valuable to the reader. (However, I forgot to mention on the video another cool thing I added to the book—although I put Lightroom 2 tips throughout the book, at the end of each chapter I now added a special “Killer Tips” page with some very slick little tricks, timesavers, workarounds and shortcuts).
Anyway, I hope you’ll take two minutes and watch the video.
NOTE: Good news; we just got our shipment of Lightroom 2 books in at Kelby Training (finally!), and they started shipping those books out Tuesday and Wednesday, so they’re on their way.
The first two tour dates for my Lightroom 2 Live! Tour have just been announced. My first stop is in:
- Dallas, Texas on Monday, October 27th, and then it’s on to
- Orlando, Florida on Wednesday, October 29th.
I’ll also be coming to Denver, Colorado and possibly Ft. Lauderdale, Florida before the end of the year, and then I’ll be hitting the road next year once again (I’ll announce cities and dates as soon as they’re available).
Here’s a link to the seminar registration page, with detailed class descriptions, cities and dates, and more info. I hope to see you out there this time around! :)
My original goal was to try and sell 100 books, which would have meant $4,499 would go directly to the building of the orphanage, but I just got the final tally from yesterday sales and you guys bought 236 books, which raised $10,617.64 to help build the orphanage. Amazing!!!!
I’m humbled by your generosity and compassion, and I was so touched by some of the comments you guys posted yesterday, like:
- I am getting it shipped to Scotland, which took the price up to $65.99 – but it is worth it (and that is before I have even read the book!!)
- I already have the book on order with Kelby Training so I've mailed a check directly to CMCC today.
- I don't use Lightroom (yet!) but I've ordered a copy anyway.
- Well, I just bought the book and I don't even have Lightroom.
- I have already had a copy on backorder but I ordered another one for such a great cause. It will make a great present for someone!
- I just canceled an already running order (for a lower price) for this book and ordered it here.
- For the last month I've been thinking of pre-ordering this book. But for some reason, due to circumstances the purchase never materialized. Now I know why.
- Now, I've ordered the Lr 2.0 book and feel a bit guilty that I'm receiving this autographed title while you donate all your proceeds to this cause, so I also made out a little check to CMCC to help a little bit – it's not much, but I know the generous and kind nature of NAPP members, I'm sure they'll all add up.
- I was the photowalk leader in Fresno, CA so I will be getting a copy of the book but purchased another one so that I can help Scott support this effort.
- I've been waiting FOREVER for you to release this book! I'm glad I waited until now to buy it.
- Just ordered the book! Already have another one ordered, so I figure someone is getting a nice gift.
- I just ordered two copies. I'm going to keep one for myself, and give the other as a gift
- Oh, and I ordered your new Lightroom book today. I don’t use Lightroom but I figured if you are willing to donate the entire proceeds to this worthy cause, it was the least I could do.
Those are the words of some remarkably caring and giving people. Saying “thanks” is so inadequate for what you all did yesterday, but it’s the only word I have, so….Thanks. Yesterday you made a big difference in the life of some children who really needed us to help. Bless you all.