It’s a Friday Thing
Happy Friday everybody–here’s what’s up:
- A friend sent me a link to the Web gallery you see above, which is actually a sample gallery posted by Apple to demo their new Web Gallery feature of their newly updated iPhoto ’08 app, and you’ve got to check it out, because it’s got some pretty ingenious features I haven’t seen before.First, here’s the link to that sample gallery. Of course, you get to decide a bunch of options for what people can do in your gallery (everything from downloading high res versions of the photo, to adding their own photos to your gallery), but there’s a visible options bar for people who come by your gallery, so they can decide the layout, thumbnail size, and even the background color they want to see your gallery in. It doesn’t use Flash, but you’d swear it was, because of the transitions, and reflections, and cool features (I think they’re using Ajax). Anyway, take a sec; try each gallery, and try the viewing options as well for a great look what can be done to enhance the user experience.
- ABC News.com has posted a collection of “Doctored magazine covers,” (which includes the Faith Hill cover we talked about here in the blog), and each photo gives an explaination of how it was revealed the photo was faked (often times it was the celebrity themselves who realized, “Hey—that’s not my body!” Worth a quick visit (click here).
- I’m going a live radio interview with Photo Talk Radio on Saturday, and since it’s a live show they take callers on the air to ask me questions, and generally make me look foolish, so if you’d like to call in, here’s the link to the show. It airs this Saturday from 11:00-12:00 noon EST, and I hope I get a chance to take your call on the air. If you don’t get to listen in then, you can listen the taped version of the show right on the site (to listen to the show, click here, then click on the flashing banner near the top).
- Book News: My new book (co-authored with my buddy Terry White) on Apple’s iPhone called “The iPhone Book” hits stores on Monday! It’s the first printed book available on the iPhone, and I used the exact same style and layout as my book, “The Digital Photography Book,” where each page covers just one tip, one topic, one feature of the iPhone. You can get your copy over at Barnes & Noble.com, Amazon.com, or stop by your local bookstore this week! NOTE: here’s a link to the press release that crossed the wire this morning.
- One more piece of book news: BlogCritic.com just posted an in-depth review of my latest book, “The Photoshop CS3 Book for Digital Photographers” (click here to read their review), and Moose Peterson just posted his review of the book over at Moose News Blog as well.
- Brilliant landscape photographer Stephen Johnson (who has been called “the Modern Day Ansel Adams”) has just posted his August 2007 newsletter, along with this list of upcoming workshops. Click here to read it online.
- I’ve now spent over a week with the Drobo (the robotic hard drive storage system that ensures that your photos are safe by constantly monitoring the health of your drives), and I have to sayâ”this is probably the future of professional storage. I hope to have a full review sometime next week or the following, but I’ve had a number of emails asking how it was going, and all I can say at this point is that you get a new comfort level knowing your stuff is finally, really, safe.
That’s it for this week. I hope to have some photos to post next week from a shoot I’m doing. Have a great weekend! :-)