This morning, Epson announced the replacement for my all-time favorite 13″x19″ printer (the R2400, which still sits proudly on my desk, though probably not for long), with their new Epson Stylus Photo R2880 printer, which takes advantage of Epson’s UltraChrome K3 with Vivid Magenta ink technology, and a high-performance print head. It’s anticipated street price is $799.
You can read about all the new features in Epson’s Press Release, on the next page…
EPSON STYLUS® PHOTO R2880 CREATES 13-INCH EXHIBITION QUALITY PRINTS WITH EPSON ULTRACHROME K3â„¢ INK WITH VIVID MAGENTA
Professional and Fine Art Photographers Now Have the Ultimate in Creative Control When Producing Black & White and Color Prints with the Epson R2880
LONG BEACH, CA - May 27, 2008 - Epson, the overwhelming brand of choice among professional photographers, today announced the Epson Stylus Photo R2880, a professional printer designed for photographers who seek the highest-quality sellable photographic and fine art prints. Incorporating the same technology as the Epson Stylus Pro printer line, the 13-inch Epson R2880 features Epson UltraChrome K3 with Vivid Magenta ink technology, and a high-performance print head for professional photographic output.
The printer also features Radianceâ„¢ Technology, an innovation that smoothes color transitions and optimizes highlight and shadow detail. The Epson R2880 replaces the Epson R2400 as the flagship of Epson's 13-inch printer lineup.
"Photographers will demand this printer for one primary reason, it will enable them to create the world's finest exhibition-quality prints," said Patrick Chen, product manager, Epson America Inc. "After three years of uncompromising development, the 13-inch wide Epson Stylus Photo R2880 will redefine the standards for creative control and print quality photographers expect from Epson."
Epson UltraChrome K3 with Vivid Magenta
Epson UltraChrome K3 with Vivid Magenta ink technology is the industry standard by which all other professional-level ink technologies are judged. The ink set features a newer, high-density form of magenta pigments that produce a wider color gamut - dramatically improving reds, blues and purples. In addition, three-levels of black - black, light black, and light light black - deliver unsurpassed gray balance and stunning tonal range in black-and-white output.
Radiance Technology is a breakthrough mathematical architecture featured exclusively on the Epson R2880 and Epson R1900. Co-developed by color scientists at Epson and the Rochester Institute of Technology (R.I.T.), Radiance Technology optimizes how individual Epson R2880 inks are mixed to dramatically improve color transitions and reduce grain. The technology is built into the printer software, allowing for improved highlight and shadow detail as well as consistent color under different lighting conditions.
Unrivaled Control of Photographic Output
The Epson R2880 affords photographers and fine artists creative control, allowing the user to explore their creative options. Epson's advanced black-and-white mode, included within the printer driver, enables precise control for neutral or toned black-and-white prints. Photographers can choose from one of four preset menus - neutral, warm, cool, or sepia - or further fine-tune images with custom slider bars and the color wheel.
More about the Epson Stylus Photo R2880
- Professional Print Head - Features the same award-winning MicroPiezoâ„¢ AMC (Advanced Meniscus Control) print head found on the Epson Stylus Pro models for extremely sharp and accurate ink droplet placement
- Superior Media Flexibility - Creates professional quality prints from 4"x 6" to 13"x 44" on glossy, luster and matte papers; supports 1.3mm art boards, roll media, including canvas; and fine art media including Epson Exhibition Fiber Paper
- Direct CD/DVD Printing - Prints directly onto inkjet printable CDs and DVDs, making it easy to create professional digital portfolios
- Archival Print Longevity - Offers print permanence ratings as long as 200 or more years for truly sellable color and black-and-white prints
- Enhanced Connectivity - Allows two computers to simultaneously connect to the Epson R2880 via two hi-speed USB 2.0 ports for seamless printing from either computer
- Epson PreciseColorâ„¢ Manufacturing - Applies colorimetric calibration to the permanent MicroPiezo® print head at the factory through an enhanced manufacturing process, eliminating the need for internal calibration devices or constant calibration
- Exceptional Reliability - Features a new ink-repelling coating on the print head prolonging the life of the head and decreasing maintenance time; a built-in sensor also allows for automatic print head alignment and nozzle checking
For more information on the Epson R2880, please visit www.epson.com/SPR2880. For information on Epson products and services, visit Epson.com.
Pricing, Support and Availability
The Epson R2880 will be available in June 2008 for an estimated street price of $799.99 through direct market resellers, specialty photo stores, computer superstores, online retailers, and Epson's retail Web site at www.epsonstore.com. The printer is backed by the one-year EPSON Exchange Limited Warranty and is supported by the Epson ConnectionSM, a customer support technical assistance line.