Thursday News Update
Here’s a coupla news quickies:
- Nikon just announced a major update to Capture NX (called Capture NX2), and there’s already a lot of buzz about this new version all over the Web. Nikon photographer (and Guest Blogger extraordinaire) Vincent Versace has this to say about the new version, “Capture NX2 unlocks my creativity in ways I never imagined. Using this software, the impossible becomes just an opinion. Capture NX2 is a RAW processor that allows you to be in the 21st century.” Vincent is regarded as the leading authority on NX, and he’s just released a Capture NX2 training DVD called “Unleashing the RAW Power of Capture NX2” (he’s offering a $15 off discount if you pre-order the DVD before NX2 actually ships). Here’s the link with all the details on Vincent’s DVD.
- There’s a free Photo Walk coming up this Saturday, June 7th, 2008 in downtown Chicago that kicks off at 7:00 am from Bicentennial Plaza, (337 E. Randolph). Dan Ablan has all the details on his blog. Sounds like fun! (ya know, except for the whole 7:00 am thing).
- One of my readers, Baptiste Firroloni, brought this video clip to my attention, that is just hilarious. It’s a Washington DC Fox 5 news report, and they were doing a piece called “Photo Flap” about how photographers are getting hassled about taking photos in DC’s Union Station. So, Fox 5 did a live interview at Union Station with Amtrak’s Chief Spokesman who is talking about how it’s not necessary to have a permit to shoot in Union Station, and while they’re talking, a security guard comes up and makes them stop taping, and says “No photographs!” Priceless! You gotta see it: Here’s the link.
- Stephen Frishling, over at the FlyingwithFish.com blog (which focuses on tips for traveling with your photo gear), has a really great contest going on. Stephen says, “To kick off the 2nd half of the year, I’ve decided to help someone pick up their camera, spread their wings and go explore America by giving away a $100 Southwest Airlines gift card. No strings attached, I’m just looking for someone who can really tell me where they want to go, why they want to go and what they want to see!” The details for the contest are over at his site (here’s the link).
- One more thing: just a quick thanks to all of you who help out answering some of the questions posted by other readers here on the blog. Earlier this week, when I did the post about the Korg recording studio shoot, there were a number of follow-up questions, and I was home writing that day so I fielded a few of the questions myself, but I wasn’t able to answer all the them. Luckily, other readers here, like Kurt Shoens and Scott Wiggins, stepped in and provided some really good, helpful information, and I just wanted to say thanks, and let you know how wonderful it is to see readers helping each other, and not slamming or berating people when they have questions (which happens all too often in online forums). Hey, we’re all in this together, and it’s this kind of stuff that makes it all work, so thanks.
Hope you all have a fantastic Thursday, and we’ll see you back here tomorrow for a weekend wrap-up.