Happy Friday, everybody! Here’s what’s up:
OK, I finally got a new lens!
It’s been a while since I’ve bought a new lens, so…ya know…I was due. LOL! This is my first in Canon’s mirrorless R-mount line of lenses that match up with its EOS R mirrorless bodies. It’s the just-released 24-240mm f/4-6.4, and this is my new travel lens.
Here’s why I bought it:
(1) I can get my travel rig down in weight considerably, because I won’t be lugging my heavy 70-200mm f/2.8 with me to China next week. Just this lens, and my 16-35mm f/4 (which will hopefully be replaced with a soon to be shipping 15-35mm R-Mount lens).
(2) I won’t have to use the Adapter with this new lens since it’s built for the EOR R mirrorless.
(3) From the reviews I’ve read, it’s
(4) B&H had a killer deal on it — $899. Boom! Done.
(5) Back when I was shooting Nikon, I loved their 28-300mm as my travel lens, but since my switch to Canon six years ago, they haven’t had anything with a similar size and weight, so I got a Tamron 28-300mm that I really like and used a bunch, but this new lens is actually wider, which I love. It’s 24mm rather than 28mm. I can crop the 240mm long end just a little and get to a 300mm equivalent, but you can’t make a 28mm any wider, so starting with a 24mm is a big, big plus in my book.
(6) I love the smaller size. Works great with my Think Tank Photo sling bag. Much better fit than my 70-200mm that’s for sure.
Here’s what I wish were different:
(1) It’s an f/4 to f/6.3, and I would have preferred an f/3.5 to f/5.6. Not a
(2) Get this — you don’t get a lens hood with it. You have to buy it separately for $35. Oh. Come. On!
I’ll do a field report soon
I’ll have some shots from China soon with it, and I’ve got a location portrait shoot on Monday so I’ll probably bring it as well, and I’ll let you know what I think of it once I take it through its paces.
See what you missed in Vegas!
Check out this video put together by our video crew with highlights from the recent Vegas Photoshop World. If you didn’t get to go, this is what it was like!
We’re one month away from my Worldwide Photo Walk
Well, technically yesterday was one month away because it’s Saturday, October 5th in 1,000+ cities all over the world. It’s free, it’s fun, you oughta come (Hey, that rhymes!). Here’s where to go to see if there’s a photo walk already organized near you (link). If you’re thinking, “What the heck is the Worldwide Photo Walk?” then watch this video (below).
Very Cool Video on Where to Photograph Jets at LAX
Our buddy and rockin’ guitarist Jefferson Graham has been doing a Photowalk series where he shows you cool places to shoot photo walk style, and recently he did a really cool one on where to photograph the big jets coming through LAX. If you’re in photo walks and you’re not following Jeff’s new youtube series, you oughta! Check out his “Hidden LAX” video below and don’t forget to subscribe to his page: Jefferson Graham Photowalk.
Come spend the day with me in Nashville in a few weeks
My “Ultimate Photography Crash Course”full-day seminar is coming to Nashville on Wednesday, Sept. 25th at the Music City Center. It’s just $99 for the full day – includes a detailed workbook of my note, plus it’s100% money-back guaranteed if it’s not the best photography seminar you’ve ever been to, at any price. period. Tickets and details at KelbyOneLive.com (get your tickets now – my Boston seminar last week sold out in advance).
Have a great, safe, dry weekend everybody!