Hi Gang: it’s my annual tradition to kick off the New Year with a quick look back at the most popular, and most commented-upon posts of 2014 here on my blog, and some of the fun stuff we shared during the past year.
By the way: If you’re wondering how many posts we put up in the course of a year, in 2014 it was 268 posts (Whew!). Also, in case you were wondering: I actually do write all my own posts with the exception of Guest Blog Wednesday and Free Stuff Thursday which are handled for me by my awesome photo assistant (and great writer) Brad Moore, to which I am boundlessly grateful for (thank you so much, Brad!). :) OK, here we go:
The Top 10 Most Commented-on Posts of 2013
Here are the posts that garnered the most comments from readers during the year, in order: (NOTE: I didn’t include any of my Free Stuff Thursday giveaways in these tallies or Guest Blog comments which have their own separate catagory).
- Creatives Unite at KelbyOne! (461 comments) link
- 2. Why I Switched To Canon (251 comments) link
- 3. Canon Announces the EOS 7D Mark II Sports and Wildlife Photographers Hold on to Your Hats (ya know, if we actually wore hats) (199 comments) link
- 4. I Need Your Help Trimming My Online Portfolio (194 comments) link
- 5. Real world field report on the Canon EOS 7D Mark II – (145 comments) link
- 6. Photoshop and Adobe’s promise of the Creative Cloud (99 comments) link
- 7. Perhaps my most revealing interview ever (87 comments) link
- 8. This is an Amazing Guitar, But That Night I Got Something So Much More (86 comments) link
- 9. …And What an Amazing Day It Was (85 comments) link
- 10. If you heard from me…that was me (85 comments) link
Interesting Side Note About Comments
While the amount of comments here on the blog has gone down slightly year-over-year, I often mention my blog posts on Facebook, G+ and Twitter, and those readers generally comment there (on social media) rather than here on the blog. It’s not unusual for a blog post to have 12 or 15 comments here on the blog, but the Facebook post about it to have over 100+ comments. Just an interesting insight into how people are interacting. When you think about it, it totally makes sense.
I’m very grateful to all the Guest Bloggers who shared their images, ideas and inspiration with my readers each Wednesday. Here are the top posts from 2014 (in order of comments):
1. If I Had $1,000-ish To Spend on Improving My Landscape Photography, I’d Get… (Matt Kloskowski) Link
2. The Second Best Job in the World (John Reid) Link
3. Your Starting Point is Critical (Michael Woloszynowicz) Link
4. The Hunting Photographer: (Frank Doorhof) Link
5. The Evolution of My Photography (Elia Locardi) Link
6. Subject as Object (Levi Sim) Link
7. ‘Third Day” All-Access Concert Shoot (Brad Moore) Link
8. Sympathy and Empathy For Others. (David Bean) Link
9. Taking Photos of My Dogs (Alan Hess) Link
10. The Season For Giving (Bill Fortney) Link
My Photo Shoots
When I do a shoot, I usually post the images here within a day or so (or the spread from the photo book I made if it was a travel shoot), and here are the shoots that garnered the most comments from 2014 (in order of popularity):
1. My First Studio Shoot Using Lightroom Mobile (link)
2. From Prague to Budapest: My Images From Europe, As Told Through Exposure.co (link)
3. One From my Bridal Shoot (including behind-the-scenes shots) (link)
4. Photos From my Weekend Trip to Santa Fe (link)
5. My Favorite Football Shots From The 2013 Season (link)
6. My Images from Rome, as told through exposure.co (link)
7. My Images From the US Open Tennis Championships (plus behind-the-scenes) (link)
8. My Automotive Photography as Told Through Exposure.so (link)
9. My Shots From The US Open Men’s Tennis Finals (link)
10. The Blue Angels (from the Sun n’ Fun Fly-in) (link)
I’ll be back Next Week with Part Two, where we’ll look at some of the milestones from an entire year here on the blog. :)
Glad you’re back Scott from hiatus! My favorite blog by far.
You are a good and kind man, Mr. Toney! :)
Sorry I missed you in New York in 2014 :( But glad we get to connect here online!
Happy New Year Scott.
Maybe this year, Roz. :)
Thanks for sharing. Looking forward to what 2015 brings, Scott!
Many thanks Rivqa. :)
The Top 10 Most Commented-on Posts of 2013
should that not be 2014?
Please post a list of the best Grid episodes. Maybe 2 – one of the most inspiring and one with the most practical information
Looking forward to a new year of blogging for you, Scott. Although I think you’ll have to up your game, ’cause I’ve seen your wife’s blog today!
Happy New Year and thanks for all the info. The comment section does not seem to like my Chrome browser-may account for fewer comments.
Great work Scott…Quite the resume of images and traveling …lol… Inspiring stuff and I look forward to following your blog in 2015!